fbpx
New Cornelius Greenway officially opens with ceremony on Saturday

New Cornelius Greenway officially opens with ceremony on Saturday

BY NEWSROOM ⋅ DECEMBER 9, 2021 ⋅ POST A COMMENTFILED UNDERGREENWAYSPARKS AND RECREATION

McDowell Creek Greenway Phase II / Jason Benavides photo

Dec. 9. The Town of Cornelius will dedicate the new McDowell Creek Greenway—Phase 2 runs from Magnolia Estates Drive to Westmoreland Road—at noon on Saturday.

The ceremony will be at the trailhead near the Publix parking lot.

What is it?

For cyclists and walkers, it’s a safe route from the Publix area to Birkdale. (You can actually reach the greenway safely starting near the Post Office and head down Liverpool into Magnolia Estates.)

The 1.5 mile Phase 2 connects with another trail that runs along Birkdale to Sam Furr Road. It’s all part of the “Emerald Necklace,” a 13-plus mile loop that will encircle Cornelius and connect to trails to Davidson and Huntersville.

McDowell Creek Greenway Phase II / Jason Benavides photo

Background

With the opening of McDowell Creek Greenway Phase II, the Emerald Necklace is 76 percent complete. Remaining sections are hoped to be completed in the near future.

Back in April 2020, the Cornelius Town Board unanimously approved a $2.5 million contract with the J.D. Goodrum Co. for the construction of McDowell Creek Greenway Phase II.

Funding for the entire cost of the project, which totals $3.9 million, was provided by a combination of state grant funds (65 percent) and the remainder from town funds (35 percent).